Sunday, August 16, 2009

 

Shahrukh Can


He gets detained at a US Airport for a couple of hours, and its breaking news, shaking news and freaking news. The dude gets access to contact a political biggie in India and the Indian Embassy in US. After that make a noise of and create more euphoria in the press. Makes phony remarks that he won’t set his foot on American soil after this experience, when reality is actors have no values or national pride, they will set not just their foot but their soul also on any land to make money. If the Film Industry has the gall, they should have decided that no films would be ever be shot in Australia for treatment meted out to Indians, and for this act done to Shahrukh no shoots in US. Drive a strong message, but when in an Industry where each other is trying to pull the other down and bitch about their colleagues in media, what unity can you expect from anyone in such an Industry. Film Industry can be compared to a whore joint, where every whore is looking at only her interest and ensure to get the maximum attention and solicit business at any cost.

Swine Flu becomes secondary to the media, as Shahrukh Khan is detained in some US Airport. Independence Day coverage shared space with Shahrukh’s detention at an Airport for two hours. A day when we should be remembering people who gave us freedom and the soldiers who brave their lives to ensure the continuity of our freedom, we are bombarded with updates of Shahrukh’s detention. The amount of humiliation the Indian community faces worldwide is well known, but how many can like Shahrukh get assistance with one phone call. How many victims of racial abuse did the Indian embassy in Australia visit or even contact? How many politicians in India bother to contact their families in India and offer any moral support? But if the victim is Harbhajan’s cousin it gets media attention. So in my country if I need any assistance or media attention, I have to be an actor, cricketer, politician, business tycoon preferably corrupt, or a criminal, anything but an ordinary Indian. So if I cannot expect anything in India what the hell can I get anything abroad if I am stranded or detained?

Shahrukh feels he was profiled, discriminated and detained because his surname was Khan. He can make a movie ‘My name is Khan’ to show religious and racial profiling in USA, and when it turns on him, it is bad. It is not anywhere near bad to what Indians are facing day in and day out on foreign shores. Shahrukh feels his body guard was denied a visa because his name too was Khan. I have been denied a US visa twice in a span of 14 days and in two countries, a feat that could feature in the Guinness Book of records, now my rejection was not because I was a Khan, but because I was an Indian, period. Now for the rest of my life the stigma would remain of a US visa rejection as they stamp in my passport as not visa rejected, but very cleverly all visa rejections are stamped on the last page, as ‘visa applied on’ date. This is only done for people whose visas are rejected. A know fact to everyone but what has the government done about it, zilch. A foreign country can deface my passport to profile me in future, but I cannot complain.

Now who could I complain too? Who can I make a call too? No one, coz I can’t and Shahrukh can.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]