Tuesday, September 29, 2026

 

Crazy Kersi

​Kersi is a guy, one will stereotype as a crazy, eccentric Parsi in India.
'Crazy bawas' is slang used for the Parsi community—the same crazy community that came into India as refugees, and India prospered with its industries and global conglomerates built by the Parsi community. Then, the philanthropic activities of some of these corporates were not seen as charity, but responsibility. Once, a news reporter asked Ratan Tata how come he is not rich like one of the richest businessmen. His reply was that the corporate was into business and capitalism, and his business house is into nation-building. Leaving us wondering: who is crazy?

​Crazy Kersi was not a corporate honcho. On the contrary, he was treating people who go crazy. One of the most renowned and sought-after psychiatrists in India. A doctor many of the who's who in India go to for therapy. His clients include the rich and the famous, even the infamous. Businessmen, celebrities, famous personalities, and even politicians. No hints needed to guess who the infamous ones are. As only someone crazy can or would want to be infamous and end up being crazy.

​My meeting with Dr. Kersi Chavda was when I was walking my dog on the street. Another quirky trait of Parsis is their passion for maintaining their vehicles in immaculate, pristine condition, and their love for animals, especially dogs. When some consider dogs as unclean, the religion of the Parsis, which is Zoroastrianism, considers dogs as sacred, clean, and righteous creations of God, and spiritual protectors and guardians of the afterlife. Still wondering who the real crazy ones are? The Parsis or us?

​So I don't know if it was my dog that caught Dr. Kersi's attention or seeing a crack guy like me. Our meetings continued occasionally when I walked my dog. He would ensure he stopped and said hello. Not to me, but to my dog. Besides being a doctor for the mind, Dr. Kersi was someone with a big heart, delivering lectures especially to school children on the importance of mental health. A concern where he genuinely expressed caution towards my social awareness on various matters, which can land me in serious trouble. His concern was in the usual Parsi style, with expletives, and anger on the material I post on social media. ​

It was much later I really realized and was proud to know that Dr. Kersi and I came from the same alma mater of schooling, Don Bosco's in Matunga, Mumbai. An institution that has churned out some of the best minds in practically all professions one can think of. Maybe I was the odd, crazy one who scraped through school and somehow managed to make a life. 

A recent call from Dr. Kersi again was advising me and angry on my social posts, where he concluded saying, "You will not listen, because you are ******* crazy." The asterisks were the usual more than 5-star rating of his expletives. ​Leaving me with a smile of courage to continue what I am doing. If I am crazy with my blogs, vlogs and reels, I got Crazy Kersi who's got my back.... 

.......and my brain.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]